I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you seen that YouTube video Girl Moms vs. Boy Moms, where they paint this picture of what it is like to be a mom to a girl in a light that it’s all cupcakes and kitten licks, while being a boy mom is all chaos and mayhem?
To this I say poppycock!
I have three girls, a 5-year-old, 3-year-old, and 10-month-old. Every single one of them, including the baby, is like a hurricane (and I know hurricanes because I am from Florida).
In fact, this is what the older two girls’ room looked like this morning (I’m embarrassed to even reveal these pictures):
This isn’t even the worst I have seen it look, either. The “stuff” doesn’t stay in their room either. It seems to overflow throughout the rest of the house, which means I get to spend every night walking through the house picking up the items nobody else bothered to pick up and return to their rightful home.
I have tried all sorts of toy clutter solutions. I bought those pretty bins to put on shelves. I bought a toy bin holder. The best of the toy clutter solutions that I could find is to stop buying toys.
The Top Toy Clutter Solutions
This, my fellow mamas, is the #1 reason I vow to not buy any more toys as gifts. This does not even include the 9lbs. (I wish I was exaggerating) of trash, toys, toy parts, books, cups, pieces to various games, arts and crafts pieces, and papers I cleaned out from behind and underneath their bunk bed.
I was so angry while I was cleaning out this mess. This is exactly the moment that I proclaimed no more.
On the way home from church last week, I had this exact conversation with my husband. I told him that our house is too small, they have too much crap, they don’t take care of the crap they have, and they don’t put away the stuff they have so NO MORE STUFF.
I told him that I think we should give them experiences instead.
I would rather spend our money on taking them to the theater (our oldest has been asking about seeing The Nutcracker) or catching the Fancy Nancy live show that is in the area, or having them dine with their dolls at the American Doll Bistro.
I’d rather pay for an extra vacation each year.
I’d rather fill their calendar with even more free library programs than we already attend or pay for additional dance classes, soccer, or whatever the heck it is they want to do than to fill our house with even more stuff that nobody cleans up but me.
I would rather deposit extra money into their college funds than spend one more dollar on stuff.
Educational Toys & Books
We have overflowing bookshelves of kids books. We have bins bursting at the seams with puzzles and educational toys and games.
At this point, we don’t need anymore. Plus, the two older ones, especially, have educational items in their kindergarten and preschool classes.
PLUS, we can borrow and return most of these items from the library!
This, this, and this are all the reasons why I am choosing to just say no. In the eyes of my kids, this probably makes me “the worst mom ever” but I can live with that. In the long run, they’re not going to remember or benefit from all of the stuff they have.
The experiences they have, however, they will remember for a LONG time.
Rent + Return Toys + Then Rent Some More
Another option is to rent toys from companies like Toy Library You can rent nice, education + fun toys from Toy Library. Your kids can play with them + then you can return them to receive new toys. Rinse + repeat.
What about you, Mamas? How do you feel about toys and all of the stuff your kids own?
- 3 Benefits of Healthy Eating for Kids
- 8 Savings Goals To Teach Kids About Money
- 10 Best Things To Do During Summer With Kids
- 5 Tips For Summer Safety For Kids
- 10 Mom Bag Essentials I Have For Summer Fun
- The Best Clean Sunscreen Brand I Use On Me + My Kids
- 12 Ideas To DIY Summer Camp At Home
- 3 Resources For Personal + Business Life While You Stay At Home
- How to Protect a Crawling Baby
- How to Keep Happy, Safe + Healthy Girls Throughout the School Year
- 7 Easy Hair Styles For Girls
- When To Start Potty Training Girls
- Best Halloween Costumes for Girls
- 3 Healthy Habits For Girls
- 7 Subscription Boxes For Girls
- 26 Mother-Daughter Date Ideas
- Feeding Time: What to Keep in Mind When Introducing Food to Baby
- Baby on Board: What You Need to Know About Car Seat Safety
- 7 Ways to Help Your Daughter Feel Comfortable in Her Own Skin
- 7 Tips for Nighttime Potty Training Girls
- School Bus Safety Tips to Teach Your Kids
- How to Deal with Unexpected Problems at Delivery
- 3 Characteristics of the Best Mom Car
- 4 Ways to Prevent Your Teen from Texting + Driving
- 3 Tips to Help You Prepare for Labor + Delivery
- Creative Lunch Ideas for School
- Resources + Recommendations for Mommin’ + Bloggin’
- How to Make Hand Washing Fun for Kids
- DIY Halloween Party Ideas for Kids
- 12 Cool Things to Include When Building a House
- 3 Tips for Toddler Girl Summer Fashion
- How to Be a Productive Stay-at-Home Mom
- The Ultimate Guide to Summer Day Camps + Sleepaway Camps
- How to Protect From Child Bee Stings
- 10 Best Books on Raising Strong Girls
- A Complete Mom Guide to Summer Activities with Kids (So Everyone Survives the Summer)
- The Ultimate Guide to Sibling Fighting + How to Stop It
- 7 Things A Mom REALLY Wants for Mother’s Day
- 3 Things to Look for When Choosing a Pediatric Dentist
- 5 Kid-Approved Fun Summer Activities
- A Family Trip Near Shenandoah: Where to Stay, Go + Eat
- Celebrate Earth Month With Green Kid Crafts
- 4 Tips to Prep for Your Disney Trip with Your Kids
- 3 Ways to Model Appropriate Behavior for Your Daughter
- 3 Actions to Take if a Dog Bites Your Child
- 3 Places to Buy Inexpensive but Nice Girls’ Clothes
- 6 Steps to Resolving Conflict with Your Strong-Willed Daughter
- 3 Home Pests That Can Make Your Kids Sick
- 7 Strategies for Dealing with Defiant Daughters
- 7 Books to Help Girls Overcome Anxiety, Fear + Worry + Other Feelings
- The Top 7 Girl Mom Bloggers You Should Be Following
- 3 Tips for Moms Going Back to School
- 3 Tips for Surviving a Move with Young Ones
- 3 Ways to Keep Your Kids Safe in the Car
- To The Mom With A Crazy Toxic Mom
- 12 Non-Toy Easter Basket Ideas for Girls
- 5 Ways To Easier Laundry When You Have Girls
- It’s Flu Season, Ya’ll
- Tips To Be A More Productive Mommy
- Twinkle Twinkle Little Star 1st Birthday Party for a Girl
- 14 Ways to Tell Your Kids You Love Them on Valentine’s Day
- Speed Up Your Family’s Morning Routine
- How to Make Easy Healthy Family Meals
- 7 Tips to be Done with Dinner in Half an Hour or Less
- The Kid Birthday Tradition I Do Every Year (For All 3 Girls)
- 3 Valentine’s Day Foods + Goodies for Your Sweetie
- Easy Freezer Meals for After Baby
- How to Pick Strong Baby Girl Names
- 10 Valentine’s Day Activities for Young Kids
- 101 Winter Bucket List Activities for Young Kids
- How I Went From Being Skeptical to a Believer in 2.7 Seconds
- 2019 Mom Goal
- 10 Rainy Day Activities for Young Kids
- 10 Cringe-Worthy Questions Only Moms of All Girls Are Asked
- #1 Reason I’m Giving My Kids Experience Gifts, Not Toys
- 7 Steps to Create the Perfect 1st Birthday