I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on
I’m on my third baby and third time carrying a diaper bag. And, my oh my, have the items in my diaper bag changed from child to child.
Duh, right? I mean, it’s right there in the name of the bag for God’s sake but you wouldn’t believe how many times I have grabbed that bag, ran out of the house thinking it had diapers in it, and when it was time to change the baby no diapers in sight!
Now, before I leave the house, I always check the bag for diapers and stock it with at least 5 at a time, which in theory, should last me for more than one trip to the store, outing, etc.
Wipes are magical creatures. Not only do you need wipes to clean dirty bottoms but wipes clean up almost anything. I’ve even been known to clean my bathroom with wipes (Don’t judge.).
I always make sure I have a package of wipes in my bag and if I’m running low, I grab a new package and dump it in there before heading out the door.
#3 Changing Pad/Mat
My diaper bag came with a changing pad/mat and this thing is a godsend. I use it in the bathroom on the changing station but it also comes in handy if we have to change a diaper in the back of our Suburban or anyplace where there is no changing station for baby.
#4 Complete Change of Clothes
I also make sure that I have a complete change of clothes for the baby. Shirt/onesie, pants (shorts or skirt, depending on the season), and socks. You’re going to want to change these out as baby grows and as the seasons change.
Of course, you’re also going to have to change it out after the incident that renders it dirty.
#5 Butt Paste
We have gone down the road of what feels like a million diaper rash creams. Our oldest had the most sensitive skin and breakups. Our second daughter was somewhere in the middle and the youngest seems like she has the least problems in her diaper area.
For the two older girls, I always had a tube of Boudreaux’s Butt Paste in my bag. With the baby now, I always have a tube of the Natural Boudreaux’s Butt Paste.
This stuff is life changing. It seems to work better than any of the other rash creams we have tried.
I always pop a sippy cup with fresh water in it. This way if we stop off to eat somewhere or the baby gets thirsty in between nursing, she has a cup she can drink from without making a total mess.
#7 Bib & Placemat Set
I didn’t do this for my first two but for the third, I always carry a placemat with “bowls” attached to it and her matching bib. Place it on any table and she’s ready to eat. This way she doesn’t have to eat off the table and she won’t toss restaurant bowls or plates on the floor.
The matching bib is one of those that has a pocket at the bottom so it catches a lot of food during mealtime. When the baby runs out of food on her placement, she starts to eat the food that her bib caught 🙂
Both go directly into the dishwasher when we get home and then put back in the bag for our next time eating outside of the house.
#8 Wet Bag
Whether it’s to hold clothes from a blowout or other mishap, a wet bag holds the dirty clothes until you get them home to wash them. It also protects the rest of the items in your diaper bag from getting unmentionables on them.
After three kids, you really learn to perfect what does and doesn’t go into your diaper bag. It can truly feel like you need to drag everything and the kitchen sink out with you when you’re taking baby out into the world.
The truth is that there are only a handful of items that you truly need and this list pretty much sums it up.
- Carrot Cake Smoothie Recipe
- The Best Skincare For Teenage Girl
- The Best Clean Sunscreen Brand I Use On Me + My Kids
- Best Clean Skincare For Acne
- 11 Safe Skin Care Products
- What Is The Best Skincare Regimen For Aging Skin?
- Clean Skincare Products I Use That Are For The 40+ Crowd
- 3 Resources For Personal + Business Life While You Stay At Home
- 7 Subscription Boxes For Girls
- Angel Food Cake Recipe
- Green Kid Crafts September Box + Halloween Science Pack Sneak Peek
- Best Baby Wash + Shampoo
- Why I Stopped Drinking Diet Coke
- Lemon-Rosemary Chicken Recipe
- Back to School Guide
- Herb Pork Chop Recipe
- White Bean Dip Recipe
- Resources + Recommendations for Mommin’ + Bloggin’
- Best Pregnant Halloween Costumes
- 10 Best Books on Raising Strong Girls
- A Girl Mom + A Girl Review of When I Grow Up by Jon Hales
- A Girl Mom Review of Clever Count Photo Book
- A Girl Mom Review of Hello Fresh
- A Girl Mom Review of Imperfect Produce + Save $10
- The Likeness Book Review
- Shenandoah Discovery Museum Mom Review
- Where the Crawdads Sing Book Review
- The Hate U Give
- My MoM Group Cooking Class Experience
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
- A Girl Mom Review of 7 Diapers
- How I Get 4+ Hours of My Life Back Every Month (+ Keep My Sanity)
- My Quick + Easy Go-To Dinner for My Family
- 8 Things in My Diaper Bag I Can’t Live Without
- 7 Reasons to Say Yes to Sun Basket: Meal Prep Service Review