I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I started writing blog posts for clients full-time way back in 2008. After this, I started my own blogs, along with writing for clients.
I would LOVE to say that I did everything right + made a bunch of money right out of the gate, but that’s just not true.
While I did do a lot of things right, I also made a bunch of mistakes. The important thing is that I learned from those mistakes + used what I learned to make all of my blogs better as well.
So here are some of the biggest blogging mistakes I made at the beginning + the lessons I learned.
1. Not Having a Professionally Designed Site
It is so easy these days to put up a website. There are some free templates on WordPress + Square Space, even Wix. I use WordPress so I was using a free template for my website + blog.
The problem with this is that the template never truly represented my brand + my business (even though I could customize colors + fonts — to an extent). It didn’t function the way I needed it to, either, which was a big problem.
When I started using a Premium WordPress Template + then later had a designer custom design a site for me, it made a world of difference for me, my brand + my business.
If I had to do it again, at a minimum, I would have bought a Premium WordPress Theme + then had the company customize it to fit my needs.
2. Not Investing in Education
I was the Queen of why would I pay $297 (or whatever the price was) to learn this stuff when I Google here + Google there + spend the rest of my life until I retire finding all of the info I need?
Yeah, not smart at all.
I learned that being cheap was really expensive.
I wasted a lot of time, which cost me a lot of money.
Once I realized what a HUGE mistake I was making, I took courses like:
- Blog by Number
- Stupid Simple SEO (Open for enrollment in August)
- Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing
- Pinterest Ninja
OMG…tons + tons of expert information, tips, tricks, advice…everything I needed to truly take my blog + business to the next level — all in one place.
Seriously. I don’t know what I was waiting for or why I wasted so much time.
3. Choosing the Wrong Host
I started out with GoDaddy + had a good run with them. Then, the bottom fell out.
I switched to Bluehost + it was a disaster.
I switched to Siteground several years ago + I’ve never looked back. Pretty much 100% uptime, superior customer service, yeah, great.
4. Trying To Do It All Myself
Another HUGE mistake I made was trying to do it all myself. Not only when it came time to learn but also just trying to keep up with the amount of things I had to do to keep the blog running.
I started outsourcing + quick. OK…not so quick because I kept telling myself that I couldn’t afford to pay someone else to do “the things” for me (PLUS, I might be a teeny-tiny-weenie bit of a control freak.).
Similar to education, though, I realized that I was LOSING a ton of money by focusing on the tasks that weren’t actually making me money.
I hired a VA to take care of these tasks + now I focus almost solely on writing content.
5. Choosing to Be a Generalist
For years + years + years, I wrote for any industry that would hire + pay me to write for them.
The day I started writing for one niche, my business increased instead of decreased.
I made more money because I became a specialist instead of a generalist.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, learn from all of my blogging mistakes so you don’t make the same ones, too!
- 39 Lessons For Marketing A Blog
- 3 Resources For Personal + Business Life While You Stay At Home
- 19 Black Friday (+ Cyber Monday) Deals for Bloggers
- What New Working Moms Should Know
- Self-Care for Moms
- How to SEO a Blog
- Writing Copy Stinks
- How to Write an eBook to Make Money
- Resources + Recommendations for Mommin’ + Bloggin’
- The 5 Biggest Blogging Mistakes + Lessons Learned
- How to Start a Lifestyle Blog
- How to Use Content Marketing as a Mom Blogger
- How to Increase Blog Traffic Fast
- How to Increase Blog Traffic for Free
- How to Find Blog Ideas
- 5 Ways to Balance Life as a Work-From-Home Mom
- 7 Ways to Grow a Mom Blog in 2019
- How to Build an Amazing Mom Blog
- The Rise of the Work-at-Home Mom + How To Do It
- How I Grew My Facebook Group to Over 4k Members in 2 Years
- How to Start a Mom Blog
- Some of My Fave Marketing Blogs
- How You Can Boost Traffic To Your Mom Blog Today
- How to Use Pinterest for a Mom Blog