I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on
I am a Florida girl living in (more like stuck in) a Virginia world 🙁 I remember growing up that our motto was you have to get that “first sunburn of the summer” for a good base tan.
Now, as a mom, I slather or spray my kids + myself with sunscreen on a daily basis. I recently set out to find the best clean sunscreen brand for me + my family.
Here is what I discovered + chose.
What Is Clean Sunscreen?
Let’s start out by explaining what clean sunscreen is.
No, it’s not the opposite of dirty sunscreen…but close.
Clean sunscreen is a sunscreen that does not contain any harmful ingredients.
Some of the harmful ingredients you can find in sunscreen can cause some scary stuff like:
- Hormone disruption
- Inhibited fetal brain development
- Skin + eye irritation
- Respiratory problems
Ingredients You Won’t Find In Clean Sunscreen Brands
Now that we know what clean sunscreen is, let’s take a look at the ingredients that you don’t want to see in your sunscreen:
(Spoiler alert: This list is going to scare the be-jeezus out of you.)
- Benzalkonium Chloride: A disinfectant used as a preservative + surfactant associated with severe skin, eye + respiratory irritation + allergies. Found in: sunscreens, moisturizers.
- Ethanolamines (MEA/DEA/TEA): Surfactants + pH adjuster linked to allergies, skin toxicity, hormone disruption + inhibited fetal brain development. Found in: hair dyes, mascara, foundation, fragrances, sunscreens, dry-cleaning solvents, paint, pharmaceuticals.
- Oxybenzone: Sunscreen agent + ultraviolet light absorber linked to irritation, sensitization + allergies + possible hormone disruption. Found in: sunscreen, moisturizer.
- Polyethylene glycol (PEG compounds): PEGs are widely used in cosmetics as thickeners, solvents, softeners + moisture-carriers. Depending on manufacturing processes, PEGs may be contaminated with measurable amounts of ethylene oxide + 1,4-dioxane, which are both carcinogens. Found in: creams, sunscreen, shampoo.
The Sunscreen Brand I Chose + Why
I started to dig deeper. I took a look at the sunscreen we have in our house.
I started reading the labels on sunscreens they sell (on Amazon because I wasn’t out looking at sunscreen on shelves in the middle of a pandemic).
I tried a sunscreen sample that my friend Tina gave to me when she dropped off my skincare regimen sampler packets.
I investigated this sunscreen…
…+ even put it on my FACE!
In the end, I chose the Beautycounter Countersun line for me + my family to use as sunscreen to protect us from the sun.
They even came out with a daily use sunscreen for your face.
The Best Clean Sunscreen Brand
The best clean sunscreen brand that I use on myself + my family is Countersun. It is a complete line of sun protection to cover you + your kiddos from head to toe.