I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on
This blog post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission to fund my coffee drinking habit if you use these links to make a purchase. It does not cost you anything extra + you’ll keep me supplied in caffeine. It’s a win for everyone, really.
I have three girls. Picking a girl name for each one of them was H-E-L-L. It wasn’t me. It was my husband.
He was such a pain in the you know what about picking a name for EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. He’s such a likable guy so it’s hard to believe he could hate so many people.
Here’s how I went about compiling the name lists. (Yes, I pretty much had to compile a completely new list for each one because somehow the names leftover from previous namings were axed by the hubs.)
1. Names I Saw
I started watching the credits of shows + movies to find girl names. I would jot down any names I thought were possibilities. If I was watching a show + found a name I liked it went on the list.
Pretty much any source around town or on the TV was game as a source of baby girl names.
2. Baby Name Books
I scoured through those big books of baby names that are alphabetized from A to Z. While there are some quite unusual names — too unusual for me — I did find gobs of possibilities.
3. Online Girl Names
In addition to the print book versions of girl names, there are also tons of online girl name lists. These were also fair game in my hunt to name each one of my girls.
4. Family Names
We walked through our family trees. What was your grandmother’s name? How about your favorite aunt? What about your great grandmother?
While we were not necessarily trying to name any of them after someone, shaking the branches of the family tree can turn up at least one or two girl names.
I’m an avid fiction book reader. As part of a Mom’s Book Club, I read at least one book a month now. Before kids, I read a LOT more. When I was reading + came across a girl name that I liked, it went on the list too.
Similar to TV, anything in print that I liked was game. I actually had at least three names that were all literary driven.
Once I had my big list of girl names down, I went through them one by one with my husband. He said yes, no or maybe to each one. Then, we narrowed it down + narrowed it down until we finally agreed on a name.
The first baby girl was the easiest (although it took him about 5 months to commit to a name). The second baby girl was a little harder + longer than the first. The third was the hardest + we practically didn’t have her named until she came out.
For some moms, you can wait or have to wait until you’re looking your baby girl in the face. That’s not me.
I needed to know their sex + I needed to know their names ASAP.
What did I end up naming my three girls, you ask?
- First: Katherine Riley (We call her Kate). She is named after my favorite Aunt Katherine (who goes by Kay). Riley was a first name option + we were between Katherine + Riley so we combined our first two first name options.
- Second: Audrey Grace (After Audrey Hepburn, of course).
- Third: Emmy Anne (My girls have an aide at preschool who’s named Emmy + we liked the name. We also like her. Anne is after my mom, my sister-in-law + my mother-in-law’s middle names, but we added an E to be a little different. They are all Ann.)
If you need a list of strong baby boy names, check out Chanel’s list at the Good Life of a Housewife.
Strong Baby Girl Names
How did you pick your girl names (or boy names)? What did you name your kiddos?
- 3 Healthy Habits For Girls
- 7 Subscription Boxes For Girls
- 26 Mother-Daughter Date Ideas
- Feeding Time: What to Keep in Mind When Introducing Food to Baby
- Baby on Board: What You Need to Know About Car Seat Safety
- 7 Ways to Help Your Daughter Feel Comfortable in Her Own Skin
- 7 Tips for Nighttime Potty Training Girls
- School Bus Safety Tips to Teach Your Kids
- How to Deal with Unexpected Problems at Delivery
- 3 Characteristics of the Best Mom Car
- 4 Ways to Prevent Your Teen from Texting + Driving
- 3 Tips to Help You Prepare for Labor + Delivery
- Creative Lunch Ideas for School
- Resources + Recommendations for Mommin’ + Bloggin’
- How to Make Hand Washing Fun for Kids
- DIY Halloween Party Ideas for Kids
- 12 Cool Things to Include When Building a House
- 3 Tips for Toddler Girl Summer Fashion
- How to Be a Productive Stay-at-Home Mom
- The Ultimate Guide to Summer Day Camps + Sleepaway Camps
- How to Protect From Child Bee Stings
- 10 Best Books on Raising Strong Girls
- A Complete Mom Guide to Summer Activities with Kids (So Everyone Survives the Summer)
- The Ultimate Guide to Sibling Fighting + How to Stop It
- 7 Things A Mom REALLY Wants for Mother’s Day
- 3 Things to Look for When Choosing a Pediatric Dentist
- 5 Kid-Approved Fun Summer Activities
- A Family Trip Near Shenandoah: Where to Stay, Go + Eat
- Celebrate Earth Month With Green Kid Crafts
- 4 Tips to Prep for Your Disney Trip with Your Kids
- 3 Ways to Model Appropriate Behavior for Your Daughter
- 3 Actions to Take if a Dog Bites Your Child
- 3 Places to Buy Inexpensive but Nice Girls’ Clothes
- 6 Steps to Resolving Conflict with Your Strong-Willed Daughter
- 3 Home Pests That Can Make Your Kids Sick
- 7 Strategies for Dealing with Defiant Daughters
- 7 Books to Help Girls Overcome Anxiety, Fear + Worry + Other Feelings
- The Top 7 Girl Mom Bloggers You Should Be Following
- 3 Tips for Moms Going Back to School
- 3 Tips for Surviving a Move with Young Ones
- 3 Ways to Keep Your Kids Safe in the Car
- To The Mom With A Crazy Toxic Mom
- 12 Non-Toy Easter Basket Ideas for Girls
- 5 Ways To Easier Laundry When You Have Girls
- It’s Flu Season, Ya’ll
- Tips To Be A More Productive Mommy
- Twinkle Twinkle Little Star 1st Birthday Party for a Girl
- 14 Ways to Tell Your Kids You Love Them on Valentine’s Day
- Speed Up Your Family’s Morning Routine
- How to Make Easy Healthy Family Meals
- 7 Tips to be Done with Dinner in Half an Hour or Less
- The Kid Birthday Tradition I Do Every Year (For All 3 Girls)
- 3 Valentine’s Day Foods + Goodies for Your Sweetie
- Easy Freezer Meals for After Baby
- How to Pick Strong Baby Girl Names
- 10 Valentine’s Day Activities for Young Kids
- 101 Winter Bucket List Activities for Young Kids
- How I Went From Being Skeptical to a Believer in 2.7 Seconds
- 2019 Mom Goal
- 10 Rainy Day Activities for Young Kids
- 10 Cringe-Worthy Questions Only Moms of All Girls Are Asked
- #1 Reason I’m Giving My Kids Experience Gifts, Not Toys
- 7 Steps to Create the Perfect 1st Birthday