I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Summer is a season of spontaneity + on-the-go fun. Friends may pop up with an unexpected invite to the pool, beach, or local water park.
If you’re a busy mom of kids who doesn’t want to miss the action, it can definitely benefit you + your family if you get organized!
I always have these 10 mom bag essentials for summer fun stocked at all times.
What Are My 10 Mom Bag Essentials For Summer Fun?
I am glad you asked. These are the items you want to keep in your bag of tricks 🙂
#1 Swim Gear
Since you never know when an impromptu swim time or water play opportunity may present itself, keep one swimsuit per family member in your bag.
#2 Sun Protection
Always, always, always have sunscreen in your bag.
A clean sunscreen with a high SPF (sun protection factor) protects skin from the harmful rays of the sun.
Brimmed hats such as baseball caps, fishing hats + bonnets for babies will all help to shield tender skin from UV rays that cause sunburn + can lead to skin cancer.
#3 Extra Clothes
Afternoons spent at the beach, unexpected dinner invites after a day at the pool, meet-ups at the park post-swim lesson (+ just the yuck your kids tend to get all over them throughout the day) are all good reasons to bring an extra change of clothes for kids when out + about in the summertime.
Hey, Mama, don’t forget to drop your own bathing suit, cover-up + an extra set of clothes to make a quick change into dry clothing + move on with the fun without skipping a beat.
#4 Summer Footwear
Typical summer footwear includes flip-flops for the beach, pool, camping showers + just hanging around on a hot day.
You may also want sneakers with socks so that kids can play sports. Water shoes, too, are another good addition to your mom bag essentials.
Since all of these shoes can really weigh down the bag you carry, you can also store a bag of shoes in your car so they are handy if you need them.
#5 Small Toys + Books
Younger children may require toys, games, books + activities to occupy them on long or long-ish car trips, or during down-time on a day at the beach, in the park, or on summer vacation.
Items you can keep in your mom bag:
- Deck of playing cards
- Small games
- Crossword puzzles
- Mad Libs
- Coloring books
- Sticker books
Change out the activities periodically to keep things fresh + interesting.
No mom bag would be complete without kid-friendly snacks.
Popular favorites that you can throw + keep in your bag include wrapped + sealed snacks such as:
- Graham crackers
- Cheese-and-cracker packs
- Peanut butter-and-cracker packs
- Dried fruits such as raisins
- Chewy fruit snacks
- Granola bars
- Cereal-and-fruit bars
If you’re stocking your bag for the day you can include items such as:
- Sliced fruit
- Cut veggies
A smart solution for perishables such as watermelon chunks, carrot sticks, celery sticks, berries + other fresh produce is to purchase a reusable vinyl “food bag” that you can drop into your mom bag before you head out with the kids each day.
Along with snacks, another mom bag essential is drinks.
Most popular for the kiddos is:
- Juice boxes/pouches
You can use stainless-steel water bottles that can be refilled with ice + water or juice.
#8 Bug Repellent
You’re also going to include some bug spray as part of your mom bag essentials.
For moms who prefer safer, environmentally friendly products, there are a growing number of chemical-free choices in insect repellent.
You can find essential oil + Neem-oil based options you can put in a take-along spray bottle, or as an oil that you can apply directly to the skin.
You can even mix your own insect repellent at home using:
- Clove oil
- Peppermint oil
- Lemongrass oil +/or citronella or rose geranium
There are also stretchy bracelets that come wrapped in sealed plastic packaging, which have been soaked in an essential-oil based mixture. Pop a few of these in your mom bag on your way out for the day.
#9 Plastic/Wet Bag
Keep one or more plastic bags or a wet bag in your mom bag.
Use them to store wet bathing suits + towels while traveling home from the seashore, lake, or pool. A plastic bag comes in handy to dispose of trash, such as food wrappers from the kids’ snacks.
#10 Hair Ties + Small Brush
With three girls, I also keep a supply of hair ties + a small brush in my mom bag. Perfect for pulling hair into ponytails for swimming + brushing out the snarls from wet hair before it dries into a matted mess.
If all of this sounds like too much to fit into one tote bag to lug around all summer, don’t worry.
You can stow away items in your trunk + swap them in + out of your mom bag, as needed.
- 10 Best Things To Do During Summer With Kids
- 5 Tips For Summer Safety For Kids
- 10 Mom Bag Essentials I Have For Summer Fun
- The Best Skincare For Teenage Girl
- The Best Clean Sunscreen Brand I Use On Me + My Kids
- Best Clean Skincare For Acne
- 12 Ideas To DIY Summer Camp At Home
- 11 Safe Skin Care Products
- Clean Skincare Products I Use That Are For The 40+ Crowd
- 3 Resources For Personal + Business Life While You Stay At Home
- How to Protect a Crawling Baby
- How to Keep Happy, Safe + Healthy Girls Throughout the School Year
- 7 Easy Hair Styles For Girls
- When To Start Potty Training Girls
- Best Halloween Costumes for Girls
- 3 Healthy Habits For Girls
- 7 Subscription Boxes For Girls
- 26 Mother-Daughter Date Ideas
- Feeding Time: What to Keep in Mind When Introducing Food to Baby
- Baby on Board: What You Need to Know About Car Seat Safety
- 7 Ways to Help Your Daughter Feel Comfortable in Her Own Skin
- 7 Tips for Nighttime Potty Training Girls
- School Bus Safety Tips to Teach Your Kids
- How to Deal with Unexpected Problems at Delivery
- 3 Characteristics of the Best Mom Car
- 4 Ways to Prevent Your Teen from Texting + Driving
- 3 Tips to Help You Prepare for Labor + Delivery
- Creative Lunch Ideas for School
- Resources + Recommendations for Mommin’ + Bloggin’
- How to Make Hand Washing Fun for Kids
- DIY Halloween Party Ideas for Kids
- 12 Cool Things to Include When Building a House
- 3 Tips for Toddler Girl Summer Fashion
- How to Be a Productive Stay-at-Home Mom
- The Ultimate Guide to Summer Day Camps + Sleepaway Camps
- How to Protect From Child Bee Stings
- 10 Best Books on Raising Strong Girls
- A Complete Mom Guide to Summer Activities with Kids (So Everyone Survives the Summer)
- The Ultimate Guide to Sibling Fighting + How to Stop It
- 7 Things A Mom REALLY Wants for Mother’s Day
- 3 Things to Look for When Choosing a Pediatric Dentist
- 5 Kid-Approved Fun Summer Activities
- A Family Trip Near Shenandoah: Where to Stay, Go + Eat
- Celebrate Earth Month With Green Kid Crafts
- 4 Tips to Prep for Your Disney Trip with Your Kids
- 3 Ways to Model Appropriate Behavior for Your Daughter
- 3 Actions to Take if a Dog Bites Your Child
- 3 Places to Buy Inexpensive but Nice Girls’ Clothes
- 6 Steps to Resolving Conflict with Your Strong-Willed Daughter
- 3 Home Pests That Can Make Your Kids Sick
- 7 Strategies for Dealing with Defiant Daughters
- 7 Books to Help Girls Overcome Anxiety, Fear + Worry + Other Feelings
- The Top 7 Girl Mom Bloggers You Should Be Following
- 3 Tips for Moms Going Back to School
- 3 Tips for Surviving a Move with Young Ones
- 3 Ways to Keep Your Kids Safe in the Car
- To The Mom With A Crazy Toxic Mom
- 12 Non-Toy Easter Basket Ideas for Girls
- 5 Ways To Easier Laundry When You Have Girls
- It’s Flu Season, Ya’ll
- Tips To Be A More Productive Mommy
- Twinkle Twinkle Little Star 1st Birthday Party for a Girl
- 14 Ways to Tell Your Kids You Love Them on Valentine’s Day
- Speed Up Your Family’s Morning Routine
- How to Make Easy Healthy Family Meals
- 7 Tips to be Done with Dinner in Half an Hour or Less
- The Kid Birthday Tradition I Do Every Year (For All 3 Girls)
- 3 Valentine’s Day Foods + Goodies for Your Sweetie
- Easy Freezer Meals for After Baby
- How to Pick Strong Baby Girl Names
- 10 Valentine’s Day Activities for Young Kids
- 101 Winter Bucket List Activities for Young Kids
- How I Went From Being Skeptical to a Believer in 2.7 Seconds
- 2019 Mom Goal
- 10 Rainy Day Activities for Young Kids
- 10 Cringe-Worthy Questions Only Moms of All Girls Are Asked
- #1 Reason I’m Giving My Kids Experience Gifts, Not Toys
- 7 Steps to Create the Perfect 1st Birthday