I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I remember before I had kids, I really enjoyed cooking and baking. I still do to some extent but it’s a lot harder to get it all done when one or more little people are hanging from your leg, begging you to pick them up, or asking for this or that.
That’s not even to mention the grocery shopping involved. You’ve probably tried to shop with one or more kids with you so you know what I mean. I’ll leave that for another day (or post).
Because my family loves to eat, I decided to give one of the meal prep services a try. While it doesn’t cut out the meal prep/cooking part, it certainly makes it a lot easier in some ways. I decided to try Sun Basket and here’s what I think.
First, I loved that I could get $40 off. Yes! I’m a huge fan of saving money so when a friend offered me $40 off by using their referral link, I jumped at the chance. (By the way, you can get $40 off too.)
I found choosing from the menu options extremely easy. They offer different options each week so you definitely don’t have to worry about finding meals you and your family will actually eat and you don’t have to worry about repeating menu options too often.
Delivery is prompt. You can choose the day of the week for your delivery. I chose Monday because that’s when I typically shop for our weekly groceries. My order arrived on my doorstep Monday afternoon.
The food is delicious. My husband loved it so much, he offered to go to the grocery store to buy the ingredients so we can make the meals again (I know. Ah-mazing, right?). Even my picky girls (Not the baby. She eats almost anything.) loved it!
I found the pricing with and without my coupon to be reasonable when considering it as a replacement for eating out. With my discount, it put each meal for 4 (the baby doesn’t really count) at around the $34 mark. Going forward, it puts each meal closer to $50 each. Still considerably cheaper than eating out (and in some cases the food is better than what you get at a restaurant).
Most of the ingredients come in cute little measured out and labeled containers and packaging. I even re-use the little containers for my girls’ lunches and snacks for school.
Finally, everything is fresh, organic, and healthy so that’s another big plus for me and my family.
I opted for the quick-meal options. I didn’t find it to be quick. There was a considerable amount of peeling, chopping, mixing, and stirring. I wouldn’t say this is a deal breaker but quick and easy to me is throwing everything into the crockpot or one pan.
For all the recipes, I had to use more than one pot or pan. Some, I had to use the stove and the oven.
For me, the worst part about Sun Basket is the pricing. It’s definitely more expensive than other meal prep services. Without my coupon, it takes the price per meal to approximately $54. At this point, we can still eat out at a restaurant with all three of our girls in tow and spend near this amount (sometimes less, sometimes more).
On some occasions, it is worth eating out so that I don’t have to cook.
Overall, I give Sun Basket an A. I definitely think there are more positives than negatives when it comes to using them as a meal prep service. I don’t know that I’ll do it on a weekly basis but it is certainly something I am likely to do one week per month.
If you’re interested in checking it out, now is the time because you can save $40 on your first delivery. After you try it, let me know what you think by sending me an email or leaving a comment below.
- Carrot Cake Smoothie Recipe
- 3 Resources For Personal + Business Life While You Stay At Home
- 7 Subscription Boxes For Girls
- Angel Food Cake Recipe
- Green Kid Crafts September Box + Halloween Science Pack Sneak Peek
- Best Baby Wash + Shampoo
- Why I Stopped Drinking Diet Coke
- Lemon-Rosemary Chicken Recipe
- Back to School Guide
- Herb Pork Chop Recipe
- White Bean Dip Recipe
- Resources + Recommendations for Mommin’ + Bloggin’
- Best Pregnant Halloween Costumes
- 10 Best Books on Raising Strong Girls
- A Girl Mom + A Girl Review of When I Grow Up by Jon Hales
- A Girl Mom Review of Clever Count Photo Book
- A Girl Mom Review of Hello Fresh
- A Girl Mom Review of Imperfect Produce + Save $10
- The Likeness Book Review
- Shenandoah Discovery Museum Mom Review
- Where the Crawdads Sing Book Review
- The Hate U Give
- My MoM Group Cooking Class Experience
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
- A Girl Mom Review of 7 Diapers
- How I Get 4+ Hours of My Life Back Every Month (+ Keep My Sanity)
- My Quick + Easy Go-To Dinner for My Family
- 8 Things in My Diaper Bag I Can’t Live Without
- 7 Reasons to Say Yes to Sun Basket: Meal Prep Service Review