I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on
This blog post contains affiliate links. I may earn a small commission to fund my coffee drinking habit if you use these links to make a purchase. It does not cost you anything extra + you’ll keep me supplied in caffeine. It’s a win for everyone, really.
The last book I read for my moms’ book club was The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid. In fact, we met just last night to discuss it.
The book is about an old Hollywood Star Evelyn Hugo + how her life intersects with a magazine writer that she commissions to write her tell-all life story.
Evelyn takes us back into old Hollywood (the 1950s + 1960s’ Hollywood). She reveals her secrets + the secrets of the rich + famous as she introduces each of her seven husbands to Monique.
The entire time Monique is sitting there taking in Evelyn’s life story, while she is mesmerized by it, she is also wondering why someone so famous has chosen her to write her life story.
It’s a mystery that is not solved until the end + it is quite a twist.
At first glance, the title might just make you think of Elizabeth Taylor. She did, after all, have 7 husbands, right?
There might be a little bit of a connection. One of the moms was saying last night that some of the descriptions in the book mirror real-life celebrities of old Hollywood, such as Marilyn Monroe + Elizabeth Taylor.
I thought this book was an easy read. I only get to read for a little while before I go to sleep at night. I looked forward to picking up the book each night + getting through at least 1-2 chapters without a problem.
The glitz + glam of Hollywood is alluring to many of us. This book revealed tons of behind-the-scenes secrets that make you wonder just how much of what we see on TV + the Internet is true + how much is fabricated.
The writing is good so the author kept me coming back for me. She kept me wondering what was going to happen next. When it ended, she made me want to read one of her other books (which I have on hold at the library right now as we speak).
The Bad + The Ugly
For one of the only times in my life, I don’t really have anything bad or ugly to say about this book. As I mentioned earlier, one of the moms thought it mirrored real-life movie stars a little too closely at the opening of the book, BUT even she admitted she got over it + loved the book by the end, too.
To Sum It Up
If I had to sum it up in one word, I’d pick L-O-V-E.
I highly recommend this book. It would make a great beach read for vacation but is equally as fab for a I’m-a-mom-and-only-get-to-read-a-chapter-a-night-before-I-go-to-sleep-read.
Also look out for Taylor’s (I feel like we should be on a first name basis) other novels:
- 11 Safe Skin Care Products
- What Is The Best Skincare Regimen For Aging Skin?
- Clean Skincare Products I Use That Are For The 40+ Crowd
- 3 Resources For Personal + Business Life While You Stay At Home
- 7 Subscription Boxes For Girls
- Angel Food Cake Recipe
- Green Kid Crafts September Box + Halloween Science Pack Sneak Peek
- Best Baby Wash + Shampoo
- Why I Stopped Drinking Diet Coke
- Lemon-Rosemary Chicken Recipe
- Back to School Guide
- Herb Pork Chop Recipe
- White Bean Dip Recipe
- Resources + Recommendations for Mommin’ + Bloggin’
- Best Pregnant Halloween Costumes
- 10 Best Books on Raising Strong Girls
- A Girl Mom + A Girl Review of When I Grow Up by Jon Hales
- A Girl Mom Review of Clever Count Photo Book
- A Girl Mom Review of Hello Fresh
- A Girl Mom Review of Imperfect Produce + Save $10
- The Likeness Book Review
- Shenandoah Discovery Museum Mom Review
- Where the Crawdads Sing Book Review
- The Hate U Give
- My MoM Group Cooking Class Experience
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
- A Girl Mom Review of 7 Diapers
- How I Get 4+ Hours of My Life Back Every Month (+ Keep My Sanity)
- My Quick + Easy Go-To Dinner for My Family
- 8 Things in My Diaper Bag I Can’t Live Without
- 7 Reasons to Say Yes to Sun Basket: Meal Prep Service Review